Saturday, April 3, 2010

Scary Shoppers

Nothing is more frightening than working the day between holidays. For instance: the stores were open today, they were closed yesterday, and they're going to be closed tomorrow... Today was officially crazy. On holidays, people are either mean or crazy... or both! I've probably only gotten 3 nice people today, all who I wanted to hug. The major thing I hate about working retail: people don't care! Especially when they've only got a 13 hour span in 3 days to go shopping. Really though; it's the Easter holiday! If you're going to come into town and shop, at least be nice about it!

Now I obviously don't mean "everyone" when I say "people", cause there are definitely some super nice people out there who go out of their way to be nice. But as for the crazy people; well I'll give you an example.

I work with this one lady who is in her early 50's. She's super nice, and I'm always teasing her and telling her she's my work mother, cause she pretty much is. (she will be yellow, he's orange) This man came up to her looking for a spark plug, but the numbers on it didn't match up to the ones we had, so it was obvious he got it from another store. She asked him, "Can you tell me what this is from?" He replied, "Well its from here!" "Yes I know sir, but is it from a lawn mower, chain saw...?" "Lawnmower..." "Okay, do you know what model it is?" *pointing to the displays* "Well its one of those..." "Yes, but is is Yard Works, Jobmate, Troy-Bilt?" "I honestly don't think you want to help me! I'm f**kin telling you that its one of those mowers and you're not f**king doing anything to f**kin help me!" "Sir, calm down. It's just that I can't get you the right spark plug if I don't know what model it is. Certain plugs go to certain machines." "This is f**kin bull shit! You don't want to help me!" and then he slumps off mumbling curse words under his breath.

Now really... why on earth she would continue with a person like that, I don't know. Its just the type of person she is. Still, people have no right to talk to us like that, but they think we are there to simply fulfill their orders and slave over them. Well, here's the harsh reality; we're not.

The day went on and on with people yelling about products, people, placings, prices, and any other things they could think of. The pathetic thing is; basically everyone was yelling about completely stupid stuff that didn't make sense to anyone.

For anyone who doesn't understand or has never worked retail, here are a few tips:
1. We are NOT mind readers. We don't know what "that pink thing" on T.V.is. Be more specific.
2. Be nice to us, we'll be nice to you. If you're going to sit there and yell over something stupid, you lose all respect from us and make a fool out of yourself in the process.
3. Don't whistle, snap your fingers, or yell to get our attention. Whenever a guy/girl snaps or whistles at me, they get "Sorry, no dogs allowed in the store, gonna have to ask you to leave" for an answer.
4. Don't order us around! We aren't your slaves! Be nice! Say "please" and "Thank you" and we're probably going to be super nice right back.

So that was my rant for the day. I'm telling you, retail staff is definitely over worked, under paid, and poorly treated.
Until next time,
Live, Laugh, Love,
-Missy A


**and for those of you who guessed it from the picture, I do, indeed, work at a Canadian Tire.

2 comments:

  1. First of all I want to thank you for stopping by my Blog and becoming a friend. I particularly have enjoyed this post. My daughter works as a makeup artist on a part-time basis and she tells me LOTS of horror stories (as she calls them) about people and their terrible manners. I will surely let her read your comments, she will relate! (by the way, she also has a "work mother", isn't that funny? :0)

    ReplyDelete